By-Laws of the Israelite-Humanitarian Women’s Association of Hamburg, dated March 19, 1911 (Hamburg 1912)

Source Description

Founded in 1893, the Israelite-Humanitarian Women’s Association [Israelitisch-humanitärer Frauenverein] advocated for women’s rights as well as social policy issues in Hamburg and explicitly addressed a Jewish audience. The source presented here is a printed copy of the association’s by-laws of March 19, 1911, printed in 1912 by Martin Philipsen’s printing office in Hamburg. Set in Gothic print, the document is twelve pages long and divided into 18 paragraphs stating the following: name and location of the association, its purpose, questions of membership and membership fees, as well as organizational structure. This last point includes provisions on the fiscal year, the board, the administrative committee, reporting and accounting, general meetings, changes to the by-laws, and dissolution of the association. The reason for this reprint of the by-laws was the association’s inclusion in the city of Hamburg’s register of associations on March 28, 1911. 18 years after its inception, this Jewish women’s association had achieved its goal to be officially anchored in the community’s public life. The meaning this step carried becomes evident by the fact that the official confirmation of inclusion is printed at the end of the by-laws.
Read on >

Recommended Citation

By-Laws of the Israelite-Humanitarian Women’s Association of Hamburg, dated March 19, 1911 (Hamburg 1912) (translated by Insa Kummer), edited in: Key Documents of German-Jewish History, <https://dx.doi.org/10.23691/jgo:source-127.en.v1> [July 27, 2017].