Speech by Gustav Tuch, President of the Henry Jones Lodge, in: The Meeting Hall in Hamburg. Publication Commemorating Its Inauguration. Sunday, August 28, 1904, pp. 25-30 [Excerpt]

Source Description

The source presented here is a speech by Gustav Tuch, president of Hamburg's Henry-Jones-Lodge, given at the opening ceremony of the new meeting hall of Hamburg's B'nai B'rith (“Sons of the Covenant”) chapter on August 28, 1904. The speech is included in a 58-page Festschrift, a publication commemorating the meeting hall's opening. In addition to Tuch's speech, the publication features those of the other speakers as well as memories of the groundbreaking and the banquet that was part of the opening ceremony. It closes with a list of the donors who made the construction of the new building possible. Thus the commemorative publication is part of a public demonstration of the Hamburg lodge's rise from a small membership of 38 in 1887, as the introduction mentions, to the opening of its own facility 17 years later. Tuch's speech combines the pride at the meeting hall's opening with a call to his lodge brothers to participate in B'nai B'rith activities. In doing so, Tuch also makes reference to the B'nai B'rith mission and the roots of the self-image of its German-based Jewish members.
Read on >

Recommended Citation

Speech by Gustav Tuch, President of the Henry Jones Lodge, in: The Meeting Hall in Hamburg. Publication Commemorating Its Inauguration. Sunday, August 28, 1904, pp. 25-30 [Excerpt] (translated by Insa Kummer), edited in: Key Documents of German-Jewish History, <https://dx.doi.org/10.23691/jgo:source-1.en.v1> [November 19, 2017].